Friday, May 2, 2008

Action News at 11!

I watched a mike-wielding TV news guy, cameraman in tow, descend on a solitary diner at an outdoor table at the Farmer's Market the other day.

Two tables away, I couldn't make out the conversation, but the TV news guy looked pretty somber, and seemed to be posing earnest, hard-hitting questions.

The unsuspecting target of his interrogation was a thirtysomething scruffily bearded guy who seemed nonchalant but accomodating of the camera and mike being shoved in his face while he was trying to eat.

After the TV guys left, my curiosity got the better of me, and so I went over to the interviewee and asked what that was all about.

"I guess they're doing a story on the rising price of rice," he explained. I noticed the remnants of a rice-and-beans side order on his plate. "They wanted to know how it affected me."

And what did he tell them?

"It didn't."

No comments: