Sunday, May 18, 2008

Go Fly A Kite

I'm the dad who refuses to buy his kid videogames. No PS3, Wii, Xbox in our household. Difficult to say this without sounding priggish and self-righteous, but frankly I find them abhorrent.

I see my son's pals congregating, with nary a word of conversation between them, individually blam-blamming some onscreen arch-enemy, for hours at a time. Group solitaire -- no social interaction whatsoever. I pick up his friends to take them for a hike or a ball game, and the minute these kids get into the car, without even saying hello they pull out one of these godforsaken games -- which I confiscate immediately.

I shudder at the thought of my son turning into one of these mindless zombies. Other parents kvetch that they can't tear their kids away from their violent screens -- the ones which they have purchased for them. By now they know how I feel, and I obviously can't prevent or even dissuade them from raising a generation of dolts. But I can vote with my wallet, and will not purchase this overpriced mind-numbing crap. Consider my son deprived.

Today we bought a pair of colorful kites, $2.99 each at the supermarket, took them to the park, and spent a joyous hour running around, getting them to sail higher and higher and higher. Ours were the only kites visible against the clear blue sky. All the other kids in the park didn't even notice them. On this sunny, breezy day, they were too busy staring at their videogames.

No comments: